Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Do you feel your mind is being pulled in a hundred different directions at once? Is it hard for you to handle some of your emotions, and does this cause any problems in your relationships?
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) offers you a comprehensive skill building experience. You learn to manage painful memories, emotions, and decrease conflicts in your relationships.
DBT focuses on 4 specific areas of skills building.
- Mindfulness – Helps you stop being set off by distressing things that happened in the past and enjoy your present experience.
- Distress tolerance – It’s normal to want to keep yourself safe from all negative emotions; however, this only keeps you stuck. Distress tolerance helps you increase your ability to painlessly deal with negative emotions.
- Emotion regulation – Offers you effective ways to manage intense emotions that are the root cause of problems in your life.
- Interpersonal effectiveness – These techniques give you the ability to communicate with others in a confident, assertive way that maintains self-respect and strengthens relationships.
How Does it Work Exactly?
You may be living your daily life with a constant stream of uncontrollable negative emotions right under your awareness. These emotions affect how you feel about yourself and how you interact with other people, including friends, romantic partners, and family members.
DBT works to help you learn ways to manage your negative emotions so you can feel self-confident and in control while interacting respectfully and successfully. The message at the heart of DBT is self-acceptance, letting go of self-criticism, and transformation.
What Can You Expect from DBT?
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy usually consists of a combination of DBT skills groups and individual therapy sessions.
The individual therapy sessions allow you to have one-on-one contact where you:
- receive specialized support with applying DBT skills to your daily life
- address any obstacle that may arise in applying the skills you’ve learned
- receive encouragement to keep you motivated on your path to living a life full of meaning and purpose
DBT skills group interactions will help you practice skills with others and offer mutual support.
What’s the next step?
Ready to learn how to regulate your emotions with ease, deal with stress in a healthy way, and improve your relationships with others around you?
Get in touch with me today for a free consultation. I am here to gently support you and help you get to the place of loving the life you’re living.